Thursday, August 6, 2009

Multiple instances of Conime.exe in theTask Manager when compiling in Viusal Studio.

This post will be about Visual Studio creating a lot of conime.exe processes and also a fix to the problem.

Today I found a bug when working with one of my projects in Visual Studio 2008 Sp1. After running the studio for a while a lot of conime.exe processes appeared in the Task Manager. After some research I found out that sometimes when I compiled my solution (6 projects) a new instance of the process appeared. The process is a Windows process that is used for asian languages, but I'm using a swedish/english system.
I asked google for a solution and found out that there could be a tojan that caused this. But no, not in my case. I also found other persons having the same problem and also one person that recommended disabling conime.exe for consoles and that solved the problem for now. (Source:

1. Start regedit (Windows key + R, then type regedit)
2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Console
3. There you will find a value called LoadConIme, set this value to 0.

No comments: